April 4th to 10th 2016, Berlin
Call for Participants
from Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany and Czech Republic
European states are divided by the urgency of the refugee influx. While on a government level opinions on the matter diverge and state representatives seek a common policy, a part of the civil society is acting rapidly as a relief for the overwhelmed authorities and refugees alike. The press and social media cover a vast number of charitable volunteer actions. The role of civil society in aiding and welcoming refugees has increased due to the slow and ambivalent reaction of the European and national authorities. Moreover, civic initiatives and larger movements also organise in order to counteract racist and nationalistic action.
Scope of the Forum
The Forum is an opportunity for actively engaged helpers to step out of their work and meet with other like-minded and similarly engaged activists, volunteers, social workers etc. The purpose is to deliberate the situation, exchange experiences and inspire or even coordinate next steps of (transnational) action.
The Forum is designed for 45 participants from: Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Germany and Czech Republic.
Who can participate?
If you are part of an initiative, movement or NGO, if you are an activist yourself or if you plan to initiate action to improve the journey or the stay of refugees in your community, if you work on any refugee-related issue professionally, voluntarily or as a professional volunteer, join the Forum “Civil Society Welcoming Refugees in Europe”.
- Reflection on stereotypes and power relations
- Safety and responsibility in Europe
- Experience and good practice in aiding and welcoming refugees
- Examples of refugee-aid in Berlin
Requirements for participation
- actively involved in welcoming actions for refugees
- or motivated to engage in an organisation or to initiate an activity in the future
- interested in the topic of migration and forced migration and in the political and societal process triggered by it
- registered in one of these countries: Germany, Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Romania
- at least 21 years old
- fluent in English
During the seminar, we reimburse the travel costs up to:
- 275,- € for participants from Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia, Bulgaria and Romania
- 180,- € for participants from Czech Republic and Germany.
We provide accommodation and meals. The financial contribution for participation is 20,- € to cover the running costs.
To apply, please fill out the application form until the 9th of March 2016.
Contact and further information
If you have any questions about the Forum, please e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Forum is offered by Balkans, let’s get up! Organisation (Serbia) and Initiative Mittel- und Osteuropa e.V. (Germany) in partnership in partnership with Centre for Social Transformation (Romania), GFPS-CZ (Czech Republic), Association Strive! (Croatia), Ideas Factory Association (Bulgaria) and PUZZLE Gevgelija (Macedonia).
This project is funded by the ERASMUS+ Programme.
We are looking forward to your applications!
With best regards
Andrea Zsigmond (Balkans, let’s get up! Organisation)
Erzsebet Lajos (Initiative Mittel- und Osteuropa e.V.)